Label It! puzzles come in two forms (so far!) for Science. There are Life Cycle puzzles and Parts of Things (morphology) puzzles. Together, these two sets of puzzles will add some pizzazz to your biology units!
These puzzles are intended for students in the first through third grades. The labels for each puzzle have been encoded using a simple substitution. A decoding chart is provided at the top of each page, each puzzle using a unique cipher. They should not present too much challenge for students to solve, and will be a non-stressful, relaxing way for them to practice science terms for life cycles and body parts. After everything has been labeled on the page, students can color in the animals and plants!
Life Cycle Puzzles include these critters and plants with the following labels:
- ANT - eggs, small larva, growing larva, pupa, adult
- APPLE - seeds, tree, buds, flower, apple
- BUTTERFLY (version 1) - eggs, larva, pupa, breakout, imago
- BUTTERFLY (version 2) - eggs, caterpillar, chrysalis, breakout, adult
- CHICKEN - egg, hen roosting, egg hatching, baby chick, adult
- EARTHWORM - cocoon, hatchling, adult earthworm
- FROG - eggs, young tadpole, mature tadpole, froglet, adult frog
- HONEY BEE - egg, larva, pupa, adult bee
- LADYBUG - eggs, larva, pupa, adult ladybug
- MEALWORM - egg, larva mealworm, pupa, adult darkling beetle
- PLANT - seeds, seed with roots, sprout, seedling, medium plant, adult
- PUMPKIN - seeds, sprout, vines, flower, baby, adult
- SALMON - eggs, avelin, fry, parr, smolt, adult
- SEA TURTLE - eggs, breakout, baby, juvenile, adult
- SUNFLOWER - seeds, roots, sprout, baby, adolescent, adult
- WATERMELON - seeds, sprout, vines, flower, baby, adult
- * coming soon * life cycle of a silkworm!
Parts Of Things Puzzles includes the following:
- ANT - eyes, head, legs, abdomen, thorax, antenna
- APPLE TREE & APPLE - fruit, trunk, foliage, leaf, stem, skin
- BUTTERFLY - antenna, eyes, body, hind wing, fore wing
- CHICKEN - comb, eye, tail, beak, wing, toes
- DARKLING BEETLE - legs, thorax, head, eye, antenna, abdomen
- EARTHWORM - clitellum, mouth, segments, anus (only use this puzzle if you want to hear giggles!)
- FROG - hind leg, front leg, eye, trunk, webbed feet
- HONEY BEE - thorax, head, eye, wings, legs, antenna, abdomen
- LADYBUG - spots, head, eye, wings, legs, antenna
- MEALWORM - segment, legs, head, eye, mouth
- PLANT SPROUT - cotyledon, leaves, stem, roots
- PUMPKIN - tendril, vine, leaf, skin, ribs
- SALMON - eye, scales, lateral line, gills, mouth, fins
- SEA TURTLE - head, eye, shell, scutes, tail, flipper
- SUNFLOWER - petals, seeds, flower, leaves, stem
- WATERMELON - tendril, rind, vine, leaves
- CATERPILLAR - mouth, abdomen, thorax, true legs, prolegs
- MOTH - head, feathered antenna, legs, wings, abdomen
These puzzles can be easily incorporated into science notebooks. Or shrink them down half size (still easy to read) and you can fit them into a lapbook! You could also print these off for early finishers to work on.
I'm sure you won't be covering all of the above plants and animals in your science curriculum, but I wanted to provide lots of options. I plan to add new puzzles to the packs whenever the clip art becomes available. I've got some silkworms to add to the Life Cycle pack very soon! (I already added the moth and caterpillar to the Parts set.) The nice thing about shopping at TpT is that, once you've bought an item, you have access to download it forever...including any new updates that the teacher-authors make!
These two sets are $3.00 each.