Saturday, May 3, 2014

Five on Friday

Late AGAIN! Ah well...


1)  My favorite picture of the week!  Caught them reading!  Some evenings, Ginny and I like to snuggle up on my bed and read our own books.  On the above evening, Jack decided to join us!  I like reading on my phone, so I was quickly (and quietly) able to switch to camera mode and snap a pick.  If the kids hear the camera focusing or making other noises, they scamper like scared cats (and Jack sometimes hisses)!


2)  Things have been slow for my TpT store lately.  I subscribe to clipart.com for some of the clip art that I use and their website has been down since April 11th (ish).  It's been forever!!!  They seem to nearing the end of their server swapping (the company was bought out, etc).  So hopefully soon (once their website is back up!), I will have 2 new Latin puzzle packs focusing on verbs and a new history flashcard pack ready for the store!  It's been a while since we worked on Latin puzzles so I'm happy to get back into it.  We use the Latin puzzles to help review older vocabulary words in an attempt to stay sharp!  (That's a little preview puzzle of the new Latin set coming soon!)

Growing With Grammar


3)  Ginny and Jack have finished their Grammar courses for the year!  Jack actually finished his a couple weeks ago.  Ginny's had a few extra lessons, so she just finished hers this week.  GWG is set up as a 3 lesson a week course, but we do 4 per week, so we always finish with Grammar a bit early in the year.  It's nice to see some of the workload dropping away as we near the end of the school year!  Jack has actually completed all 8 years of Growing with Grammar, so next year he will be starting a Literature course!  (They grow up so super-fast!)

Baffledazzle

4)  This week I donated a little money to a wonderful Kickstarter campaign called Baffledazzle.  Rachel Happen is the creator of Baffledazzle.  Here's a little blurb from the page...

"Puzzles that baffle the mind and dazzle the eye. Designed by hand, cut from wood, acrylic, and felt. Because puzzles deserve better."

Of course they do!  I love puzzles and Rachel has created some amazing looking ones!  She has reached her Kickstarter goal, so the world will be a better place with her lovely puzzles in it.  But there are still a few hours left, so if you'd like to get in on this, you can donate some cash.  Rachel will send you some puzzles based on the amount you donate too!  I am eager to receive a Cirkusu puzzle...it is a combination of 2 things I love...board games and puzzles!


5)  And in Puzzle News - This year mark's the 40th anniversary of the Rubik's Cube!  Here's a great article from the New York Times with some words from the cube's creator, Erno Rubik.  There's another good article in the BBC News Magazine.  I will admit, I have never solved this puzzle.  I don't actually even own a Rubik's cube at this time!  I had one when I was in high school, and I even had a friend in high school who could solve this sucker pretty easily, but I never figured it out myself.  Maybe someday, I will get over my cube-fear and buy another one...

Happy weekend everyone!

Weekly Wrap-up


 post signature

No comments: